Monday, March 3, 2008

Compost and other soil matters

So, who knew that compost would be the Mel's Mix component that I would have the most difficult time obtaining. I am still very pleased with my pile, but I tried to "screen" it on Saturday to determine how much more I'd need to buy and there was only a negligible bit that would pass through the screen I was using. Possibly I need a screen with bigger holes, but still I'm going to need to add some. I had not given it much thought as I assumed that I could just pick some up wherever I found the vermiculite or at the least from Lowes. But, the nursery that stocked vermiculite, had very expensive compost. I did get a good tip from a friend about getting compost from the city. It is cheap ($3 for any size load) and relatively close. But it doesn't come in bags and from the website I think that the operation favors truck loads—of course, it would since that's how most people will want it.

I am pleased with having locate vermiculite, it's not very common around here. When I talked to mom, she said that is because Mel is a Westerner. And the peat moss was easy as they stock it at Lowes.

I had hoped to go get the compost from the city today, but didn't make it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it. There is supposed to be some very nasty stormy weather moving in. I would kind of like to have it before then, so that the rain can wet it for me, but it might just blow away before the rain comes.

No comments: