Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Seeds

I have been fascinated by seeds lately. I'm astounded that the little plants come out of the seeds after simply putting them in the ground. Ian got a few sunflower seeds from nursery two Sundays ago and we planted them and there are little seedlings poking out of the ground—one yesterday and three more today. They are different than the other sorts of seedlings I've had grow, they are bigger and thicker in their little stems and something, maybe waxier too.

I have also been watching some apple seeds grow. Right now they are planted in paper towels in a glass. The seeds are right up near the edge of the glass and I can see the roots go down and the shoots start to go up. I am even more amazed because they came out of the apples I used for apple sauce for Joy School the other week.

The seeds in the garden are also growing great. Everything is up. The parsnips are starting to get their first set of distinctive leaves. But, the bean sprouts were the most interesting. Here are three of the seedlings yesterday.


No comments: